"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." -Proverbs 31:8-9

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Privileged

  I've been working with women involved in prostitution for over a year now. We go out into the streets where the girls are working and offer them gift bags filled with makeup and hygienic items. Some of them know us. Some of them stay and talk to us for awhile. Some of them we meet with outside of the streets. Some of them have left "the life." Some of them go back. Some of them we have prayed with. Some of them we have hugged. Some of them we have fed. Some of them we have given rides home to. Some of them have come to church with us. Some of them have regularly attended community group with us. Some of them we haven't heard from in months.


  With every relationship I have built, every girl I have spoken with, prayed for, texted with, met with, I feel absolutely beyond privileged to be given a chance to show God's love in a real and tangible way. To be Jesus' hands and feet is both humbling and joyous. Even speaking with one of the girls today, I was suddenly overwhelmed by the stunning fact that she chose to be in relationship with me. She didn't have to give me her phone number. She didn't have to agree to meet with me. She doesn't have to stop and talk to me while she's working. I have the incredible opportunity to love this girl, with no hidden agendas, ulterior motives, or other intentions than show her how much she is loved, valued, and worth. I know that these girls are no different from me. I have nothing else to offer them but the truth that Jesus loves them, died for them, invites them, and offers them a new life. And I will continue to strive to do that well for as long as I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment