"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." -Proverbs 31:8-9

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The journey is more important than the destination

This week has been an emotional roller coaster. Feeling joy from the updates of my friends who are visiting Romania, and my little Bernadette, then immediate sadness in the longing to be there too. I so often have to tell myself that if I only knew the things God has in store for me, I would be waking up every morning filled with excitement, knowing that I am right where I am supposed to be. Although sometimes it feels as I am "stuck" here... actually, scratch that. I used to think that. I don't anymore. Now I realize that every step I take, every joy and triumph, every heartbreak and painful experience, every interaction, is all preparing me, not for "bigger things," but things I simply could never imagine. I am a firm believer that the journey is far more important than the destination, and to minimize each experience and life lesson as just a "stepping stone" towards the greater purpose is to miss a significant part of the journey. That one interaction that will touch your soul so deeply. That one person who will capture your heart for years to come. That one story that drives you into action.


This is my dear Bernadette. She has touched me deeper than anyone else I know, and her story will always be my motivation for action, as long as I am able. I hope I will be able to see her again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment