"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." -Proverbs 31:8-9

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Redeeming Valentine's Day

It's Valentine's Day, ladies and gentlemen! (As if you didn't already know. I mean, I knew Whitney died within minutes of it being announced just because of Facebook. I'm going to assume that, if you 1) have a Facebook, and 2) don't live under a rock, you are well aware that it is Valentine's Day.)

  I have never liked Valentine's Day. For the record, I have been: single, in a relationship, had my heart broken, started a relationship, and broken someone's heart all on past Valentine's Days (yes, the actual day.) It's difficult sometimes in our society to look at it as "just another day," but I do. First of all, I dislike the marketing scheme behind V-Day, and the imposed guilt: "You'd better get that 'someone special' a gift or they'll think you don't love them!"  WHAT?! Since when has that been an accurate definition of expressing your love for someone? (and I'm not even talking about a romantic relationship, but relationships in general.) While I do understand that for some of us, our love language is receiving gifts. But even that doesn't mean materialism, but rather the thought and love expressed in a gift. (It really is the thought that counts!)

  Growing up, every year on Valentine's Day, my dad would come home with a card & flowers for all of his girls (including my mom), told us how special we were to him, and that he loved us. Was it because it was Valentine's Day? Maybe he took that opportunity to show his love for us in a more obvious way, but I never felt loved or special because of what he did or gave me on that day. My dad, as much as humanly possible, expressed his love to us regularly. And ya know, it wouldn't matter if he skipped a year, because my feeling of security in his love for me was not contingent on what he did for me on Valentine's Day!

  I can't help but think of our heavenly Father, and all the great gifts He gives us! One in particular, being the greatest sacrifice ever made - His Son Jesus. In Him, we have eternal life, and quite frankly, none of us will ever be able to measure up to that! But what an amazing model we have of a perfect Father who gives good and perfect gifts!

  So, it's Valentine's Day. If you have that "someone special," give them a gift today. (Or if you do live under a rock and were unaware that it was Valentine's Day, write them a note.) And tomorrow... do it again. And next week, and the week after...

No comments:

Post a Comment