"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." -Proverbs 31:8-9

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Kidstown

Kidstown is the organization I went to Romania with in spring of 2009. It is Christian-based and they run orphanages in Romania, India, and Nepal. The way I got connected with them is a fun story I love to tell.

In summer of 2008, I had moved back to the Seattle area from living in NYC for 5 years. (That's a whole other story!!) Staying with my dad until I got back on my feet, I was on my way out to go to work when my dad's wife was having a get-together for her 30th reunion with all of her old friends. My dad introduced me to the group, and one lady asked me if I was planning on going back to New York, or what I wanted to do. I had a heart for Romania since I was very young, but in my last year in NYC, God had been stirring my heart again towards it, which led me to move back to WA. I mentioned that I wanted to work in orphanages in Romania, and she goes, "oh really? Well you should talk to him!" and points to one of the other friends' husbands. Long story short, we got to talking, and he ended up inviting me on his next trip to Romania. The rest is history.

The context behind this story is what I love the most. #1: When I left my home here, I never ever wanted to come back. Of course to visit; my family was here, and so it would always be my "home," but it would never be home again. #2: My last 6 months in NYC I could not hold a steady job, and although I wanted to finish up my semester at school, it became harder and harder to live there, and the harder I tried to hold on, the more I was losing my grasp. In a way, I feel like I was forced out of New York, but I realize now that God had to make it difficult for me or else I would have kept trying to make it work! #3: The way I thought about it, I had many options of where I could move to. I have friends and family all over that would have, and did offer to take me in. When I did decide on going back to WA where my immediate family was "just for a little while" until God showed me the next step, staying with my dad was a huge challenge for me. I think it's always a little difficult when you've been on your own for so long, and then move back in with the 'rents. There's bound to be some conflict. It was definitely a time of... uh... character building. But if I wasn't staying there, I would've never ran into Chuck and... who knows! God did. I knew as a drove to work that night, that I was right where I belonged. Although it was difficult for me for many reasons, He had confirmed it in my heart.

And that is how I got connected with Kidstown. There are so many other details that delight me because of the intricacy how God works. But until next time... please keep me in your prayers! And be open to the Lord's leading. It may not look how you want it to look, but God speaks and will gently lead you down the right path.

http://www.kidstown.org/front_page.php
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/394835/97648312?m=ab445bc4

No comments:

Post a Comment