"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." -Proverbs 31:8-9

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Waiting Period

That is where I am right now! I would love to spend this summer in Romania. It looks almost impossible right now. I do not in any way have the finances for it, and there are a few other things that need to be worked out that aren’t quite coming together as perfectly as I would have hoped.

A few months ago, I was seeking God about my future. At 9 years old, He gave me the desire to go to Romania and work with orphans. As a child, when people would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would always reply confidently, “a missionary.” There was never a doubt in my mind that I was going to travel to Romania and minister to children there. I’ve felt that way ever since. So in my time of prayer, I felt God say to me to give my desire to go to Romania over to Him. My first reaction was “that’s a little ridiculous, You gave it to me!” But I realized it was taking precedence over everything else in my life – not making any kind of commitments or future plans that would tie me down, and hesitating to establish any new relationships because I didn’t know when I would have to say goodbye. God wanted to open my eyes to the work He wanted me to accomplish here, in the place He put me in… for such a time as this. I also realized that nothing I did could ever hinder His will for me to go there! If I was in obedience to God in any big decision I was making, He would eventually lead me to the place my heart desired.

All that to say…

I may not make it to Romania this year. And that needs to be ok. If only I could see the big picture, not the pieces I am looking at now that don’t make sense, I would not hesitate to trust. His timing is perfect. While planning for the future is good, Jesus wants me to live in the now. What does He have for me today? I have to remind myself of that literally every day.


So, where does that leave me? Confused? Yes. Frustrated? You bet. Resting in His peace? Always. Having joy in every circumstance is a choice. Does that mean we go around smiling and happy all the time, and never being down in the dumps every once in awhile because we have the “joy of the Lord”? Absolutely not. It’s a daily challenge, but God has given me the ability to be joyful in all of my circumstances, and praise Him whole-heartedly even if they’re not what I would like them to be! Even if it is resting in the knowledge that God is good and worthy to be praised.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFdeOT3lzqc

No comments:

Post a Comment