"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." -Proverbs 31:8-9

Friday, July 30, 2010

Wrapping it up

  My last few days in Romania were spent at Casa Otniel, an orphanage outside of Timisoara. I had great conversations with Patricia, the "house mom" for the summertime. I wanted to spend a longer amount of time in Romania to experience the life and culture more, and I got a bigger glimpse of that just through my conversations with her. She told me some crazy stories about some very traumatic things that happened to her, including witnessing a baby being stolen! And for them, it's life. It's not normal, but it happens. We take our freedom and rights for granted here, not understanding how hard our fathers before us had to work to get it that way. I had a couple of people tell me they notice Americans smile a lot. Being under oppression for so long, Romanians had nothing to smile about, and even still the life is hard for some. The older kids I asked what they wanted to do after they leave the orphanage, most all of them said they want to "find a job, make money." There are little opportunities for them, and if they do get the chance to go to college, it's not gonna help them find a better job. So many I talked to wanted to move out of the country. Go to Ireland, France, Spain, and "find work," and were shocked when I told them I wanted to live in Romania some day. "Stay in America, it's better for you." They couldn't believe that going to Romania was a dream of mine, when coming to America is such an unattainable one for most of them.

  Life is sometimes hard there, yes. But I also witnessed joy, compassion, and generosity, and I know those who are obedient to the Lord's voice are richly blessed with the things that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment